Just installed the trial version of Ariel Vision and ran the attached samples. I am comparing them to similar images created using kerkythea. kerkythea is my current favorite. Although it is unsupported and hard to learn, it gives the best rendition of interior light of the different programs I've tried.

Ariel images are 20 passes. Both took about 10% longer than the equivalent kerk image. The Ariel rendering of the interior light in the day image is very strange, lots of bands of confusing light, reflections and auto daylight portals are enabled.

Is this an inherent limitation of Ariel, or are there ways to adjust the day lighting?

Many of the buildings I model have extensive day lighting in the interiors and I need a program that can render day-lit interiors, with lots of direct and indirect day light.

Views: 591

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The bands of light you see are shadows from the sky, rather than just from the sun. They start out rought and confusing, but improve as you add more rendering passes.

We grab one point from the sky per rendering pass for shadows. Here for example is a rendering which I stopped after 1 pass. There is a sharp shadow from the sky (actually 3 shadows - from each of the three windows). I stopped this after 1 rendering pass just to demostrate how this works.

(1 pass)

After 4 passes, there are more shadows, but there are still distinct bands. These will smooth out with more passes.

(4 passes)

20 passes is better. We use 20 passes as a good default to get an idea of how your rendering is working. But you may need to add more passes, especially for subtle lighting examples like this.

(20 passes)

Here is a rendering with 100 passes. You can see how these shadows from the sky improve the realism of the final image. Users who want even better renderings will let it render overnight to continue to improve the lighting and smoothness.

(100 passes)

Thanks for the reply.

I know my computer is a little slow by today's standards, but the difference in time from 20 passes to 100, for this model, will be about an extra hour-that's a lot of extra time in my opinion.

Here are a couple of other considerations:

1. Use more lights

These sample renderings with just one light source can be rather harsh. I often to them to test technology - but real renderings usually have more than one light source.

When you add interior lights, it softens the effects of the sky-shadows, and produces better renderings with fewer passes.

Here I added a floor lamp and some ceiling lights and let it render for 20 passes.

The effect of the sky shadows is much smaller, and the overall rendering is better.

2. Turn off the sky

Here I simply turned off the sky and rendered it for 10 passes. So there are no problems with shadows from the sky. (Without the sky - it is rendering with the SketchUp background color - I would need to go back and make it lighter, or add a background image)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Al Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service